Sunday 10th December 2017,

Top Story

Ξ 28 comments

SF Weekly: Shark Fin to Be Illegal in California Beginning Monday

posted by Randall

shark fin soup

Photo by Moohaha

This is the last weekend you’ll legally be able to eat shark fin soup in California.

The Chinese delicacy will become illegal beginning Monday, July 1, reports the SF Weekly.

The ban follows concerns by environmentalists that sharks were being killed just for their fins to fulfill the demand worldwide for shark fin soup.

Anyone caught with a shark fin could be fined $1000.

Supporters are hopeful the ban will slow the decline in the shark population.

A court hearing to overturn the ban is scheduled for August 14, but for now, the ban is in effect.

Popular Posts

28 Comments

1. AsAmNews says:

Ed Jay via Facebook RE: Will you Miss Shark Fin Soup at Your Next Wedding Banquet: "Yes."

2. AsAmNews says:

Jeannie Woo via Facebook RE: Will you Miss Shark Fin Soup at Your Next Wedding Banquet: "If I were getting married (lol) or an attendee, I would definitely be okay without shark fin soup."

1. AsAmNews says:

RE: Will you Miss Shark Fin Soup at Your Next Wedding Banquet: "I love shark fin soup, but then I thought about it the last time I had some, and it really doesn't have that much taste. I'll be ok"

3. AsAmNews says:

From Anna Lee via Facebook: Will you Miss Shark Fin Soup at Your Next Wedding Banquet: "It's good, but can live without it"

4. AsAmNews says:

From Jeffrey Chow via Facebook: Will you Miss Shark Fin Soup at Your Next Wedding Banquet: If course we can do without; just like Sun Wah Que Apple Pies, or Uncles, or Jackson Cafe. We'll miss it. Our children will never get to experience it. Our culture, changing. No like. I hope it gets overturned.

5. AsAmNews says:

From Leland Wong via Facebook: RE" Will you Miss Shark Fin Soup at Your Next Wedding Banquet: "No to shark fin soup, morally and ethically wrong."

6. AsAmNews says:

From Peter Lee via Facebook: RE" Will you Miss Shark Fin Soup at Your Next Wedding Banquet: "That's the best thing that ever happened! There's no nutritional value to eating shark fin. People that hunt for sharks for the fins just cuts off the fins and tails and throw them back in the ocean alive! The sharks just drown to death. Not even killed humanly. By all means I'm not animal rights activist, but there's just somethings you shouldn't do. You don't cut off all the legs and a chicken and leave it a live. Now all the sharks are depleting from the ocean, let me know when you figure out a way to farm them."

7. AsAmNews says:

From Leland Wong via Facebook: RE" Will you Miss Shark Fin Soup at Your Next Wedding Banquet:" There are nutirtional value but you can get this nutritional benefits from other means."

8. AsAmNews says:

From Timmy Yee via Facebook RE: Will you Miss Shark Fin Soup at Your Next Wedding Banquet: "I won't eat shark fin soup."

9. AsAmNews says:

From Don Huey via Facebook RE: Will you Miss Shark fin Soup at Your Next Wedding Banquet: "When you're married, Shark's Fin Soup is the least of your problems!?"

10. AsAmNews says:

From Daphne Yoshikawa via Facebook RE: Will you Miss Shark Fin Soup at Your Next Wedding Banquet: "Wow, miss those apple pies too!!

11. AsAmNews says:

From David Kono via Facebook RE: Will you Miss Shark Fin Soup at Your Next Wedding Banquet: "I won't miss it the next time I get married."

1. AsAmNews says:

From Jeffrey Chow via Facebook RE: Will you Miss Shark Fin Soup at Your Next Wedding Banquet: "Kono, you getting married?"

1. AsAmNews says:

From David Kono via Facebook RE: Will you Miss Shark Fin Soup at Your Next Wedding Banquet: "Not that I know of…."

12. AsAmNews says:

Barely Sharon via Facebook RE: Will You Miss Shark Fin Soup at Your Next Wedding Banquet: "I will be than okay without shark fin soup anytime."

13. AsAmNews says:

From Jeff Chop via Facebook RE: Will You Miss shark Fin Soup at Your Next Wedding Banquet: "Give the sharks a break."

14. AsAmNews says:

From Leland Wong: via Facebook RE: Will You Miss Shark Fin Soup at Your next Wedding Banquet: "With overfishing , sharks are getting more and more scarce. The meat is very good it u know how to cook it but the fins are just crazy."

15. AsAmNews says:

From Jeannie Woo Via Facebook RE: Will You Miss Shark Fin Soup at Your Next Wedding Banquet: "I just meant that shark fin soup was often served at chinese wedding banquets & I enjoyed it in my youth. I know I eat other kinds of flesh but any way that we can be less cruel, I'll go for it. Fins are just cut off & the sharks are thrown back into the sea. Some shark species are becoming extinct."

16. AsAmNews says:

From Ed Woo via Facebook RE: Will You Miss Shark Fin Soup at Your Next Wedding Banquet: "I never cared for shark fin soup & abalone. Dad used to sell shark fin. It was probably illegal in the early 70's. I enjoyed my cigarettes more."

17. AsAmNews says:

From Morris Lee via Facebook RE: Will You Miss Shark Fin Soup at Your Next Wedding Banquet: "I just love shark fin soup…..but, I lost the craving for it because of the way it is harvested."

18. AsAmNews says:

From Atkins Ohana Lee via Facebook RE: Will You Miss Shark Fin Soup at Your Next Wedding Banquet: "Haven't had shark fin in years. Don't miss it. To harvest only the fins, then throw the shark back in the ocean is totally F*CKED UP!!!"

19. AsAmNews says:

20. AsAmNews says:

From JuJu Lee via Facebook RE: Will you Miss Shark Fin Soup?: "No big loss, since the last 20 years or so, I never really knew if I was eating the real stuff in restaurants anyway. just seemed they made it into a sloppy soy based cornstarchy mixture with very little shark fin. When my MIL used to make it, at least i knew it was shark fin."

21. AsAmNews says:

From Gary Kong via Facebook RE: Will you Miss Shark Fin Soup? "Yes. When I was little the banquet bowls of shark fin soup were filled with the "fin noodles" but in recent years there seemed to be only a token few of them."

22. AsAmNews says:

From Ted Jang via Facebook RE: Will you Miss Shark Fin Soup? " Just had some on my Mom's B.Day… guess that'll be the last and don't think I'll miss it.. especially knowing how them sharks been treated…"

23. AsAmNews says:

From Leland Wong via Facebook RE: Will you Miss Shark Fin Soup? "Sharks been hated for a long long time bc some had been known to kill or even eat ppl. But we are intruding into their habitat and killing them the
    way we do can not be justified."

24. AsAmNews says:

From Linda Jang via Facebook RE: Will you miss shark fin soup? " Haven't had a decent bowl of shark fin soup in over 20 yrs. It has become so expensive the restaurants are very stingy with it."

25. AsAmNews says:

From Leland Wong via Facebook RE: Will you miss shark fin soup: "Most of the time it is imitation mixed with very little shark fin."

Comments are closed.