Thursday 14th December 2017,


Ξ 1 comment

Pacific Citizen: Japanese Americans Can Trace Family’s Experience in Incarceration Camps

posted by Randall

National ArchivesJapanese Americans interested in learning about their family’s experience in incarceration camps during World War II can see personal profiles and documentation on their family at the National Archives in Washington, D.C., reports Patti Hirahara in the Pacific Citizen.

This can be a moving experience for many, especially those who have relatives who have shared very little about their time in incarceration. The service is free, but there will be costs associated with making copies of the documents.

You’ll be able to see personal handwritten documents including what your family wrote on the WRA (War Relocation Authority) profiles as well as carbon copies of documents. To get started register for a National Archives and Records Administration (NARA) research card. You must also show photo identification, fill out some paperwork and sit through a PowerPoint presentation.

You must have the person’s name and birth date as well handwritten permission from that person to look up their records for privacy reasons. If the person is dead, you should bring a death certificate.

For more detailed information, read the Pacific Citizen. It also has important information for anyone who cannot make a trip to Washington, D.C. but might still be interested in retrieving some records.

Popular Posts

One Comment

  1. scooter nak says:

    RE: Japanese Americans can trace family history in incarceration camps: Many thanks Randall, for sharing this information.

Comments are closed.


Get Social

Subscribe to Blog via Email

Enter your email address to subscribe to this blog and receive notifications of new posts by email.

Join 9,681 other subscribers

AsAmNews has Asian America in Its Heart

Please support AsAmNews by sharing & commenting on our stories

Like Us on Facebook & follow on Twitter