HomeBad Ass AsiansThe frantic radio call leading up to death of Tony Hsieh
Don't Be Fooled by Gift Card Scams

The frantic radio call leading up to death of Tony Hsieh

Photo from Malone and Company Photography via Flickr Creative Commons

Radio transmissions between dispatchers and firefighters obtained by KLAS-TV reveal the frantic moments leading up to Tony Hsieh’s death.

“One person barricaded inside the room,” the dispatcher can be heard saying. “He’s not answering the door.”

The room is described by the Las Vegas CBS affiliate as a storage area which looks more like a shed. It’s not known whether the former CEO of Zappos was actually barricaded inside or trapped.

Investigators believe the fire started in the basement areas.

The coroner ruled Hsieh died from smoke inhalation and listed the official cause of death as an accident, reports People Magazine.

The magazine say paramedics rushed Hsieh to Lawrence + Memorial Hospital after his rescue, but he was soon transferred to Connecticut Burn Center at Bridgeport Hospital.

“The world has lost a tremendous visionary and an incredible human being,” said Zappos CEO Kedar Deshpande in a statement on Friday. “We recognize that not only have we lost our inspiring former leader, but many of you have also lost a mentor and a friend. Tony played such an integral part in helping create the thriving Zappos business we have today, along with his passion for helping to support and drive our company culture.”

AsAmNews has Asian America in its heart. We’re an all-volunteer effort of dedicated staff and interns. Check out our new Instagram account. Go to our Twitter feed and Facebook page for more content. Please consider interning, joining our staff, or submitting a story.


Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.


Worth the Time

Must Read

Regular Features


Discover more from AsAmNews

Subscribe now to keep reading and get access to the full archive.

Continue reading