HomeChinese AmericanFire that killed 2 in New York Chinatown ruled accidental
Don't Be Fooled by Gift Card Scams

Fire that killed 2 in New York Chinatown ruled accidental

Fire marshals said Saturday that extension cords caused a fire that killed a mother and her 52-year-old son in New York Chinatown Friday.

NY1 reports the fire broke out shortly before 4 overnight and spread into the hallway and public areas.

According to NBC New York, clutter and debris inside the apartment made fighting the fire more difficult.

Investigators determined all smoke detectors worked in the apartment and have ruled the incident accidental.

The apartment building has been evacuated of all its tenants. The Red Cross is assisting in relocating them.

A Go Fund Me account organized by the non-profit Welcome to Chinatown to help the residents has so far raised $15,000.

The names of the 91-year-old woman and her son have not been released.

As many as six others were injured including two firefighters.

AsAmNews has Asian America in its heart. We’re an all-volunteer effort of dedicated staff and interns. Check out our new Instagram account. Go to our Twitter feed and Facebook page for more content. Please consider interning, joining our staff, or submitting a story, or making a contribution.

LEAVE A REPLY

Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.

Latest

Worth the Time

Must Read

Regular Features

Latest

Discover more from AsAmNews

Subscribe now to keep reading and get access to the full archive.

Continue reading