The man charged in the killing of two Muslim men in Albuquerque and a suspect in the killing of two other South Asian men will remain behind bars pending his trial, reports CNN.
A judge ruled earlier this week that Muhammad Syed, 51, is a danger to his own family and society and should not be released.
“I am finding that the information does indicate that Mr. Syed would pose a threat to the community at large if I were to release him pending trial,” said Judge Joseph Montano of the Second Judicial District Court.
According to Arab News, prosecutors revealed in open court that Syed’s past behavior includes a pattern of violence.
“The defendant is really incapable of following any sort of lawful orders or incapable of following the law, period,” said John Duran, an assistant district attorney. “The defendant has really no regard for any law. It seems apparent he has further no regard for any human life.”
Syed is an Afghan refugee. The four men killed are all Shia Muslims. Scroll reports there has been a division within the Muslim community between Shias and Sunnis. There has been some fear the murders may be connected to anti-Schia sentiment.
However, that has not been confirmed.
Syed is charged in the deaths of Aftab Hussein, 41, and Muhammad Afzaal Hussain, 27, which occurred on July 26 and August 1. He is the primary suspects in the killings of Mohammad Zaher Ahmadi, 62 on November 7 and Mohammad Zaher Ahmadi, 62 on August 5.
No charges have been filed in the last two cases.
AsAmNews is incorporated in the state of California as Asian American Media, Inc, a non-profit with 501c3 status. Check out our Instagram account. Go to our Twitter feed and Facebook page for more content. Please consider interning, joining our staff, or submitting a story, or making a tax-deductible financial contribution. We are committed to the highest ethical standards in journalism. Please report any typos or errors to info at AsAmNews dot com