A father allegedly poisoned his son and daughter with carbon monoxide inside a suburban home in Inverness, Illinois.
According to The Chicago Sun-Times, a mother called the police around 4:20 p.m. last Sunday when her estranged husband did not return their children to her at the end of his visitation time. Police were dispatched to a home on the 200 block of Palatine Road.
The mother found Woo Chang, 41; Austin Chang, 10; and Jesslyn Chang, 6, unconscious at the house. According to ABC 7 Chicago, Austin and Woo were pronounced dead at the scene. Jesslyn was taken to the hospital in critical condition.
Police believe that Woo intentionally left a generator on inside the home, poisoning himself and his children with carbon monoxide, CBS News reports.
Austin was a student at Whiteley Elementary School. The school district has released a statement about the “devastating loss.”
“The District is simply heartsick, and in both shock and mourning over the tragic loss of one of our students …” the statement said, according to ABC 7 Chicago. “It goes without saying that this is a devastating loss for all of us here in District 15, especially as we look to the remainder of the school year where the child’s absence will be felt by classmates and staff.”
A GoFundMe page has been set up to raise money for burial costs and medical expenses. The page says that Jesslyn is now able to open her eyes, track the faces of those around her and listen to commands.
AsAmNews is incorporated in the state of California as Asian American Media, Inc, a non-profit with 501c3 status. Check out our Instagram account. Go to our Twitter feed and Facebook page for more content. Please consider interning, joining our staff, or submitting a story, or making a tax-deductible financial contribution. We are committed to the highest ethical standards in journalism. Please report any typos or errors to info at AsAmNews dot com