Security footage posted on social media shows a vehicle accelerating from a parking lot across the street into another before ramming into outdoor diners in San Jose.
Two people remain hospitalized in critical condition and six other sustained less serious injuries in the incident Sunday afternoon at the Dynasty Chinese Seafood Restaurant.
As AsAmNews previously reported, its suspected the elderly male driver may have had a medical condition that caused the accident.
Witnesses say the car driven by a 69 year old drove over a curb and into a tent filled with diners at a shopping mall in the city’s Vietnam Town.
According to KRON-TV, the owner of the restaurant did not have a permit for outdoor dining.
“In this particular instance, the business did not register with us or contact us,” San Jose’s Economic Development Department’s Nanci Klein said to KRON.
Some bystanders wondered why barriers weren’t constructed protecting the diners from such an incident.
The city says it works with businesses to provide metal barricades.
AsAmNews has Asian America in its heart. We’re an all-volunteer effort of dedicated staff and interns. Check out our new Instagram account. Go to our Twitter feed and Facebook page for more content. Please consider interning, joining our staff, or submitting a story.