A coalition of pan-Asian American groups representing East Asians, South Asians, Southeast Asians, Pacific Islanders and LGBTQ announced a Unity March on Washington for June 25.
The 40 non-profits include Asian American Advancing Justice – AAJC, Gold House, Asian and Pacific Islander American Vote, Sikh American Legal Defense and Education Fund alongside Black, Latinx and Indigenous groups.
Member of the Muslim community, along with disability groups and the Arab community are also pledging to take part.
The march is being billed as the first Asian American-led call to action to fight against systemic oppression.
“Driven by persistent violence, racism, and xenophobia, the safety and wellness of Asian American communities have not been addressed sufficiently by our nation’s leaders for decades,” said Tiffany Chang, a Unity March spokesperson. “The truth is, when we are not safe, we cannot advance towards the promise of a more perfect union, where racial and economic justice, cultural equity, and full participation in democracy is possible. The Unity March will push for change that allows all people equitable access to these opportunities to thrive.”
The march will take place at the National Mall in Washington, DC and will advocate for the inclusion of all people regardless of race, gender, income level, sexual orientation, ability, immigration status.
The platform calls for strengthening the right to vote and the full participation in our democracy along with economic justice and upholding the rights of workers.
It also calls for multi-cultural studies in the K-12 and university system and to reshape media institutions to be more diverse while fighting off harmful stereotypes.
The Unity March will be held on June 25, 2022, starting at 12 p.m. ET at the National Mall in Washington, D.C. between 4th Street and 7th Street.
Host Committee Members:
- Asian American Advancing Justice – AAJC (Advancing Justice – AAJC)
- Asian and Pacific Islander American Vote (APIAVote)
- Gold House
- Indian American Impact Project
- National Council of Asian Pacific Americans (NCAPA)
- OCA – Asian Pacific American Advocates
- Sikh American Legal Defense and Education Fund (SALDEF)
Unity March Organizational Partners:
For a full list, please visit www.UnityMarch.com.
- Arab American Institute
- Asian Pacific American Labor Alliance (APALA)
- Asian/Pacific Islander American Chamber of Commerce and Entrepreneurship (National ACE)
- National Korean American Service and Education Consortium (NAKASEC)
- Japanese American Citizens League (JACL)
- National Asian Pacific American Women’s Forum (NAPAWF)
- National Action Network (NAN)
- National Queer Asian Pacific Islander Alliance (NQAPIA)
- Southeast Asia Resource Action Center (SEARAC)
- Sikh Coalition
AsAmNews has Asian America in its heart. We’re an all-volunteer effort of dedicated staff and interns. Check out our new Instagram account. Go to our Twitter feed and Facebook page for more content. Please consider interning, joining our staff, or submitting a story, or making a contribution.